Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Monday, March 13, 2006

first lap quilt












Last winter I decided to take a class at our local quilting store. What appealed to me most was that it would be a 'sampler' quilt with each block representing a different form of machine quilting. I honestly despaired of ever finishing it and more than once it nearly landed in the trash heep. I have since made a solemn promise to anyone who would listen never to do another flying geese block again. It took three tries and three rippings to get it in a form that I could take to class whereupon I learned that I had not sized it properly. After piecing I decided that the flying geese down the centre were kinda lonely and so I rounded up the various leftover triangles and added some baby geese. I really did try my very best to get them all flying in the correct direction, but these babies had a mind of their own. But that's 'kids' for you.
Never one to do what I am told, I had to take these techniques to a new level while drastically increasing the time it took me to finish the lapquilt. I scanned in the border/framework fabric and printed the animals on cotton and then appliqued them. I washed the fabric just to see if it was colourfast. Guess what? It wasn't, but that's a story for another day. These animals also appear as striped beasts. To complete that block I added the cord from my son's jacket which had been in my sewing cupboard for over 20 years. Never even thought to test for colourfastness, so of course the purple bled.
PS I guess if I were really keen, I'd go back and re-take these photos since they've been taken at different times and under different lighting conditions - obviously. But isn't a blog supposed to be somewhat spontaneous? Hah! So I don't have too, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home