Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Monday, March 13, 2006

Kindergarten & crayons



The last block in my son's lapquilt was supposed to contain more stippling or meandering. To me this was too 'bare' in colour, so I began to play with the extra block of fabric I had cut inadvertently. I decided to experiment with various free motion patterns, carefully drawing the stitching lines on the fabric. I hadn't gone more than 6-7" and I could see that this was more difficult than I had thought, so I gave myself permission NOT to stay on the lines. I loved the final stitched results, but somehow something was missing. I grabbed my new box of crayons and began to crayon directly on the fabric. It was much later that I learned I was supposed to have crayoned on paper and then ironed the result onto the fabric. I didn't go kindergarten as a child, so I figure I missed that part of the crayon lesson. The more I did, the more I liked. I just went crazy. By the time I finished I realized that this block was way too different from the rest of the quilt which meant I still had one block to go. In the end I decided to do a stitched log cabin using all the fancy stitches that came with my new sewing machine (first image).

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I love this. I do not believe there are any rules in being creative. This is wonderful and fun. I can't wait to try it.
Chris

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home