Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Travelog - Day 14, Feb 14

Two of many magnificent necklaces on display at the Museum.























‘Be original with tulips’ has been such a frequently viewed sign that for some reason I think it is Valentine’s Day. Nope that’s tomorrow when I hope to have lunch with some Austin quilt people. Linda, the quilter who emailed me, just happened to mention that "Art of the Needle" is at the San Antonio Museum of Art. So we’re off south. Al will do part of the famous river walk with the dogs and I’ll get to see some stitchin’.

When Al returned from the LBJ library yesterday he mentioned some grocery store he had been in. “You’ve got to see it” he said and so we do before leaving the city for San Antonio this morning. Before we arrive at 6th & Lamar, we hear a radio interview with a representative of The Whole Foods Company telling us about their philosophy. “Grocery shopping is right up there with taking the garbage out” he says. “We want to improve the customer experience”. He’s got that right! It’s more of a department store, little groupings of round, boutique-like, granite-topped counters displaying foods – many of them already prepared and ready for your consumption right there at the bar. Sushi, coffee (get some espresso), tea (a ‘cute’ Japanese for Sean), salad, baked goods, ... things I wouldn’t have imagined. The ceiling contains dozen’s of miles of piping all neatly organized and spray-painted a warm beige. Hundreds of spot lights are suspended from chrome bars which encircle each food counter. The perimeter of this enormous ‘grocery’ store is lined with more counters that are not rectangular, but curved and broken up into specialties.

Al asks me if I had noticed the grocery carts which hardly anyone is using. Same height, but half the length, perhaps dictated by the size of their prices. We agree to return despite this as I rather fancy the squash bisque with crab, Al, the jalepeno wild salmon burger.

Oh dear I have not mentioned the weather, a very popular and important topic to us Canadians. While those at home are ‘enjoying’ –25 celsius, we have clear, sunny skies, a very brisk wind and a balmy 56 fahrenheit. Sorry for the mixed scale. Suffice it to say, northern regions are very brrrrrrrrrrrr and I’m wearing only a short-sleeved t-shirt with a light weight fuzzy.

We’re back on I-35 south. I notice that earlier I spelled Cabela’s wrong. I read, re-read, and re-read again what I have written. Each time my eye finds more typos, spacing problems, or other grammatical problems. Successful editing of your own writing in such a short period of time is next to impossible. Such is the fast-paced world of blogging.

Al says he is tired; my offer to drive is accepted. He pulls off the highway and stops in the dirt on a side road. I open the car door to the tune of many dogs barking. Just behind us is a small high-fenced lot with gates that say ‘exit only’. The back section of the lot is lined with big dog kennels housing some 8-10 large, beige yappers, off to one side, a clothesline with a white sheet flapping in the wind, a tiny structure with iron bars on the window. Planted right up against the building is a turquoise portable toilet. It’s amazing what one sees, when one actually stops.




The SAMA (San Antonio Museum of Art) is housed in a former Lone Star brewery, a location surrounded by other semi-industrial buildings. Parking is free, but admission is $8; there are no free days. We agree that Al will return in 2.5 hrs as 1.5 at the UT museum was not enough. This particular show of 40 heirloom quilts has come from the Shelburne Museum in Vermont and is spectacular. I am greeted by one of the museum security and engaged in a conversation mych longer than I would have liked. Then the Director joins me. I learn that he is also an anthropologist & quilt collector. I squirm when he tells me that when he was travelling, he would let out his house (1 mile away) to students, fully furnished including his family’s quilts which date back to his great, great grandmother. Their condition apparently shows. Do you use your heirloom quilts or do you store them away out of sight?







I am greeted by Simpson, one of the museum security and engaged in a conversation much longer than I would have liked. Then the Director joins me. I learn that he is also an anthropologist & quilt collector. I squirm when he tells me that when he was travelling, he would let out his house (1 mile away) to students, fully furnished including his family’s quilts which date back to his great, great grandmother. Their condition apparently shows. I comment that quilts have not always been valued as a form of art and proceed to tell him about a neighbour friend who has her quilts carefully stored. In the end I only take 3 photos, but that’s another story not fit for publication here.

This is one of two crazy quilts on display. I plan to make one using my tie collection and re-cycled velour & velvet fabrics. It's important for me to maintain the integrity of the look of the ties. The edging on this one tells me the narrow tie ends will work as well.












My friend, Mary, will appreciate this artists' proof or giclee (pronounced zee-clay). The imagery is stunning. I had hoped to be able to identify the image by the card at the side, but the resolution is not high enough. Sorry.

"Oh, Mrs. Duck, what orange feet you have". This is one determined duck: I back up, she approaches, I bend down, she approaches. Finally I snap the picture looking down.


We head downtown to walk along the river which he didn’t do earlier. We find a $3.50 parking lot only blocks from La Villita. The walk is very pretty but interrupted several times by construction and 2 pairs of very insistent ducks looking for handouts. Gypsy is curious, but more interested in the pigeons. Beside the Assembly Hall are very old houses which now contain gift shops – stained glass, pottery, woven goods – much of which is imported from either Mexico or Gautemala. I am tempted by some very lovely metallic fish which remind me of raku colours. I shall have to wait until I visit Mexico with Jane this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home