Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Monday, February 26, 2007

Travelog - Day 25, Feb. 25

We’re lazing around a bit this morning. Al has gone to use the office computer to locate the nearest computer stores whose fliers are in the thickest newspaper I’ve ever seen. Probably thicker than a week’s worth of The Ottawa Citizen. Once again giving new meaning to the word, large, in Texas.

This park has a very nice dirt roadway around the pond so off I go with the dogs. In an expanse of unoccupied field I let Leila loose for a romp which is better described as a gallop and did she go. She’s so much more obedient than Gypsy in returning to me when I call – well almost. As soon as she caught sight of the water, down the embankment and in she went. Then of course, didn’t she have to catch the scent of a very large fish and do what all dogs do. She rolled in it. Fortunately the fish remains are well dried out, so no harm/smell was done.

Today we go to Galveston, via apparently several stores advertising ‘sales’ on laptops. OK I’ll cut to the chase and admit we now own a new HP something-or-other laptop. Still in the box until we get back to the trailer where it must undergo 10 hours of charging before unplugging again.

Galveston. What can I say? Well first I didn’t realize that it is an island. Due to the low elevation (and not just here either), houses have no basements and in Bayou Vista are on what I call stilts with the garage being the main floor and the living areas starting on the first floor.

Our first stop is Moody Gardens, home of the rainforest and aquarium which are housed in pyramids, built to withstand hurricane forces. As first shift I get to see the rainforest ($7.95). Al then visits the aquarium at twice the price while I dogsit in the car. No pictures of the penguins unfortunately as the glass is too smudged. Never mind, the National Geographic web site probably has better pics.

The Seawalk Blvd. is a ‘must’ to drive and stop to check out the beach and water which I judge to be colder than around Padre Island. All sorts of surfers dressed in full wetsuits try to catch a wave, a good place to learn as the waves are somewhat gentle. Children are building sand castles, dogs chasing frisbees, and more than one family is fully immersed in the water. Wish it were me, I think. We pass by the Strand with its ironworks Victorian architecture from the 19th century, then catch a glimpse of the Elissa, a 19th century, 150’ tall ship which may be the only fully operational vessel of its type in the world. Tourism & conventions are Galviston’s second most important industry after shipping and agriculture and this is abundantly obvious with the magnificent hotels along the seafront. Before leaving the area we cross a bridge to Pelican Island to see Seawolf Park which offers an excellent view of the harbour entrance. Unfortunately it costs $5 each + another $5 for parking, so we do a U-turn. I wonder why this island is not more populated.

Back on #45 I notice Oasis RV campground which sits right next to Bayou Vista. Must check it out as I would definitely like to return to this area. That would be after camping out on the beach on Padre Island of course.













































1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings to Pat and Al, Enjoyed your last two travel notes, much better than the income tax I am working on. Poor you, you didn't buy a mac. Do buy a pair of the crocs Pat for the messy floors of the shower rooms. Glad to hear you are enjoying the camping. Imagine you two playing card games, etc. Good for you. Bob has made contact today with his son Rob re: the kitchen counter. We narrowed it down, are you ready, to repeat the black! It is a new black and he is doing a wood edge stained in the burgundy to match the floor strip. His comments: This whole thing started with Al Hardy and his damned refigerator. I am gunning for a new sink. It is not as good with the laminate to have the sink under the counter so will try for a modern one on top. Bob has been working for a number of days on his two hope chests and they are looking very good. Tomorrow I go skating with Jessica. I bought her one of the light weight orange pucks to practise kicking, in reality she practises standing on one foot. She desperately wants to play hockey. Her Dad will have to buy the hockey stick. Cathie and Cindy are madly working on the 16th birthday party, surprise, this saturday. I am supplying the professional popcorn maker. Cathy has rented a hall with DJ, etc. Tomorrow night I go to dinner and concert with Cindy. She has two tickets, heaven knows what noise machine I am in for. I was in Galveston many years ago and then the houses were on stilts. Most interesting. Keep up your good work in your reporting. Yes we will be going back some year soon also. Texas is BIG! Sunny and zero, quite nice here today. I have found a local free class for weights and a little aerobics, will start this sat. morning. All for now, Have a great day!.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home