Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Judith's tie quilt arrived today

Judith in San Diego and I 'met' when I emailed her to see a photo of her quilt. Two years & many thousands of miles later she is in the process of disposing of her family's home and making difficult decisions about what should be kept. In the process she has choosen me to be the new owner. I am honoured to receive such a lovely gift. And from a woman whom I have never met, just a casual email inquiry back in 2006. I have named the quilt after her.

As to its history, Judith writes:
I had a friend here who ran a collectibles shop and really had the eye for good and unusual stuff. I bought it from him years ago ... because I loved the 40's style ties, and the color matching of blue and maroon. I probably am nostalgic for that period as my father had three brothers, and there are wonderful photos of the four of them in the early and middle thirties, wearing suits with vests and ties.

I haven't figured out as yet how many ties went into this top. Each one is featured several times so I imagine the whole tie was used. It is backed with very fine muslin and all handstitched. What a wonderful sampler of men's tie fashion of the day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home