Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Coiled fabric bowls and pine baskets

Ever since my friend Kathy in Houston told me last year she was taking a 3 hr. class to learn how to make coiled fabric bowls, I've been experimenting. I don't as a rule buy new fabric, but rely on thrift shops for fabric, usually women's blouses, skirts, dresses or men's shirts. After washing and removing seams, I cut the material into 1" strips. I loved making these bowls so much that I created a kit of supplies including a 3-panel colour brochure with instructions & photos to sell during my studio tour last fall. Since then I have purchased & recommend Linda Johansen's book -"Fast, Fun & Easy Fabric Bowls.
Each of the following bowls has an interesting story in terms of the kinds of clothing that were sacrificed in the name of artful bowl-making. You would be amazed.

Elva, my first hostess, chose this soft coloured one.

Carol, my second hostess chose this purple contrasty one. When I learned that she is an active participant with the Stephen Lewis Foundation - Grandmothers helping grandmothers (Aids), I suggested that she might like to donate it for sale at one of their many fund raisers.
This is Doris' bowl. Last time she visited me she requested an oval shaped one and I actually got her to pick out the colours. She plans to use it on her bathroom counter.


This bowl was left over. I have since added some blanket stitching in orange crochet cotton around the rim as well as diagonal stitches to the bottom. I like turquoise, but not in great quantities (see entry about the 'dreaded' patchwork jacket); the added stitching helps break up the mass of colour.

Elva, the lady I mentioned above, had 3 lovely baskets displayed on her mantle. When I exclaimed how lovely and wondered how they were made, my wish was granted. Out came the supplies and the lesson began. I completed this one on the plane going home. She has declared it a fine, first effort. She very kindly gave me extra raffia & Ponderosa pine needles, so I am coiling a larger one. If you're interested in this coastal indian craft, check out
http://pinebaskets.tripod.com/knots.html





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home