Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Natchez Trace

Our last campsite after driving Natchez Trace.

I saw these creations along the shoreline of the lake. The hole is over the width of a thumb and at least a foot deep. No insects were around, so I have no idea, perhaps a wasp.


Natchez Trace
"The 444-mile Natchez Trace Parkway commemorates an ancient trail used by animals and people that connected southern portions of the Mississippi River, through Alabama, to salt licks in today's central Tennessee. "
"The heaviest use of the Old Trace was from 1800 to about 1825 by men, known as "Kaintucks," who floated down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and returned north on foot. But the stories of the Old Trace reach far beyond the early 1800s. They include Mound Builders, Natchez, Choctaw, and Chickasaw Indians, preachers, bandits, slaves, soldiers, settlers, and even Meriwether Lewis."
I kept seeing these bright spots in the pine trees and finally in the Mississippi Craft Centre parking lot I got to see them up close.








The tourist information centre is quite lovely. I love this shot of the women's washroom. The closest stall appears to be really leaning. I'm sure it is not, but then ...





The building is quite lovely complete with gas lights.






Then out came this woman wearing the wildest green & white striped pants I had ever seen. I chatted with her and asked questions about her outfit. She was very informative although the information had no meaning to me at the time. When I asked if I might take a picture I was told that it was against county regulations. As I only wanted a picture of the pants, I asked if a rear photo would be allowed. Can you imagine my surprise when I read what was on the back of their tops!!!!


Our patient dogs.
I probably spent over an hour in the Mississippi Craft Centre that now represents artisans, crafters, artists from over 19 states. They are housed in an architectually designed building that incorporates a gallery, large gift shop as well as studios for working artists. While chatting with the woman manning the shop, I met Rhonda Blasingame of Jackson MS. She just happens to subscribe to Quilt Art, an Internet artquilter forum. More amazingly she actually knew me from my postings. She made my day by giving me a quick 'show 'n tell' of her pieces. Check her out at artofquilts.blogspot.com
The display in the main hall was beautifully done. I took some pictures (with permission). I hope you enjoy some of the pieces as much as I did.














































This is a hooked rug from inside the shop. Who cannot smile upon seeing these kitties. I'm now wishing I had bought it.









1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You can find more pictures, info and directions to the Mississippi Crafts Center at:
Mississippi Crafts Center

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home