Pat Hardie - Altered Art Studio

Adventures with artquilts, fibres, neckties and 2 very fine flatcoat retrievers - Gypsy & Reo

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pierre Cardin meets Folkart




Another exercise from Pamela Allen's class. This one was to extend the 'story' of a very small image printed on fabric. I chose this funny lady with pursed lips. Unfortunately I don't know her origins. If you know who she is or who painted her, I would love to hear from you.
The composition came together quite quickly. I also learned first hand how an 'arbitrary artistic element' can cinch the deal so to speak. I completed the big hand raw edge applique on an impromptu trip to New York City with my friend, Robin, getting quite enthused about the choices of embroidery floss colours I had on hand. When I got home, I determined that again a tie would be the finishing touch, hence, Pierre Cardin in the title. This piece has been machine quilted & thread painted on a double layer of batting and stretched over a wood frame. I quite like this effect. It is a small piece (10"x12"), so the 'frame' helps it stand out from the wall giving it some 'presence'. In fact it is now on display on the livingroom wall. That's high praise from me.

I had so much fun with this 'exercise' that I want to search out more of these folkart images to play with. Perhaps a series is forthcoming.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Pat, I LOVE your lady ... the way you extended her body and garment. and the little house adds so much fun. Pamela is a wonderful teacher, isn't she?

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home